Our aim is to make biographic and related information about ringers easily accessible to historians and to interested ringers. We do this mainly by acquiring information about the lives and achievements of ringers who contributed to the Exercise and publishing Biographic records (over 950 and rising) on the website.
Historically most subjects were former Council members but we are increasing the coverage of other ringers. If you would like to nominate someone (and help us obtain the information) then please contact the Chairman (see contact details below).
Events related to ringing biography include:
- Biographies – The key to ringing history (2018 during Council weekend in Lancaster)
- Ringing History and Future Trends – Wellesbourne ( 2016 joint with Library Committee in Wellesbourne)
You can download a series of posters that give a taste of ringing history.
Future plans include adding information about ringing societies, with links to the biographic records of people represented them or rang with them, and also about the history of Council committees, linked to those who served them.
Our formal terms of reference are: To maintain an account of the work and general ringing activities of past and present ringers, to make the information created available to ringers and the wider public, and to foster an interest in the history of ringing’.
Providing information to us
Having some information in advance makes it easier to produce a biographic record when the time comes. You can easily do that by downloading one of the forms below. Complete it electronically or on paper, as you prefer. You can supply as much or as little information as you wish. Even if what you give us is very basic, it will help us to know ‘where to look’ for more detail when the time comes, so the record will properly reflect your contribution to ringing. Information held by the Committee will not be used during your lifetime (unless you agree).
If you are a Central Council member or if you play a prominent role in ringing, please consider using the form to tell us a little about you. If you filled in a form a long time ago, please consider filling in one of these downloadable forms (preferably with a recent photo).
- Biography sheet in MS Word format or in PDF format
- Biography update sheet in MS Word format or in PDF format (if you have provided information before)
There are biographical notes about some historic ringing authors on the Whiting Society website
- 2016 Annual Report
- 2015 Annual Report — 2016 Council Meeting Minutes
- 2014 Annual Report — 2015 Council Meeting Minutes
- 2013 Annual Report — 2014 Council Meeting Minutes
- 2012 Annual Report — 2013 Council Meeting Minutes
- 2011 Annual Report — 2012 Council Meeting Minutes
- 2010 Annual Report — 2011 Council Meeting Minutes
- 2009 Annual Report — 2010 Council Meeting Minutes
- View menu page for Council Reports from 1945 and Minutes from 1890
Anne Bray St Agatha's Guild